I’ve come to the realization that so many of my recipes are not very “chefy” despite calling myself a Barenaked Chef. But when you have 2 children and a busy day, it’s hard to pass off foie gras as a dinner choice. So, I offer you, yet again, a comfort food recipe. Not fancy, but yummers.
Easy Tamale Pie
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 11 ounces Mexican-style corn, drained
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces mexican style cornbread mix
- 1. Preheat oven to 375. In large skillet, brown ground beef, onion and garlic over medium high heat until meat is brown and onion is tender; drain. Reduce heat to medium low. Stir in corn, tomato sauce, green chilies, chile powder and salt. Remove from heat.
- 2 In small bowl beat sour cream and egg until well blended. Stir in 1 cup cheese. Combine sour cream mixture with ground beef mixture. Spoon into lightly greased 9×13 pan.
- 3 In medium bowl, prepare corn bread mix according to package directions. spread corn bread batter ovedr casserole. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until heated through and corn bread topping is golden brown. serve warm.