Let me tell you something: These chicken fingers are the best I’ve ever made. Ever. I will admit to not making them often, but I know a good chicken finger when I bite into it, and this one fits the bill. Yes, it’s Paula’s recipe. No, it isn’t diet food. Hush and eat a salad tomorrow.
- 16 chicken tenders or 4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 4 equal strips
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- peanut oil or lard 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 tablespoon juice form 1/2 a lemon
- horseradish, to taste
1. Sprinkle flour with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir to combine. Dredge chicken in flour, dip into buttermilk and back into flour.
2. Preheat oil to 350 degrees. Fry fingers in deep hot oil 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with honey mustard for dipping.
3. Honey mustard dressing:
Combine all remaining ingredients together except the lemon juice and stir well. Thin to pouring with lemon juice. Store in refrigerator.