The other night I found myself with all of the makings for tacos, except for a packet of taco seasoning. Ugh! No way was I going back to the grocery store for one ingredient. I searched the web, and found this delicious alternative…and the plus side? Yep, I had all of the ingredients right in my spice cupboard. I decided to look up other spice mixes that I can keep on hand to jazz up dinners and found some other fine ones. Try one tonight!
- 2 teaspoons instant onion, Minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper, Crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon instant garlic, Minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, Ground
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and blend well.
- Spoon mixture onto a 6-inch square of aluminum foil and fold to make airtight. Label as Taco Seasoning Mix.
- Store in a cool, dry place and use within 6 months.
- Using the above recipe as a guide you can increase the amounts to make any number of packages.
- Taco Filling: Brown 1 lb lean ground beef in a medium skillet over medium-high heat; drain the excess grease. Add 1/2 cup water and the seasoning mix.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Greek Seasoning Mix
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Parsley
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
Mix all spices together.
Makes approx 1/2 cup of seasoning mix
Adapted from: He and She Eat Clean
- 30 ounces Nestles Quik
- 11 ounces coffee creamer
- 16 ounces powdered sugar
- 25 ounces powdered milk Cafe1 Mix all this together.
2 Store in container.
3 When ready to use fill mug or cup with half mix and then fill with hot water.
CAFE MOCHA MIX
1⁄2 cup instant espresso instant coffee granules or 1⁄2 cup instant coffee granules
1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1⁄4 cup non-dairy coffee creamer
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
In small bowl, comine all ingredients, mix well. Store in airtight container. To serve, spoon 1-2 tablespoons mix into cup. Add 3/4 cup boiling water; stir to dissolve.