So, eggnog isn’t everyone’s bag, baby. I never experienced this dairy-licious delight until I married a good Midwestern born man. It’s sweet, creamy…and pretty thick. If you think that will turn you off, you might wanna move along.
Still here? Then, enjoy. We certainly did.
Cooked Custard Eggnog
- 1 quart milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 dash salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- ground nutmeg
- Heat milk in a large saucepan, don’t boil.
- Beat eggs and salt in a large bowl; gradually add sugar, mixing well.
- Gradually stir about 1/4 of hot milk into egg mixture; add to remaining hot milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until misture thickens and reaches 160 degrees.
- Stir in 1/4 tsp nutmeg and vanilla.
- Set saucepan in larger pan of ice for 10 minutes to rapidly cool mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 48 hours.
- When ready to serve, fold in whipping cream and sprinkle with nutmeg.