Every year I have such grand dreams of baking these fabulous cookies, these intricate creations that are beautifully decorated and look really fancy…but I always fall back on the old favorites. These, however, I tried for the first time this Christmas, and they were delicious!
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon rum *
- In a large mixer bowl beat 3/4 cup butter till softened. Add sugar and brown sugar and beat til fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, and salt and beat well. Add flour and beat til well mixed. Cover and chill about 1 hour or till easy to handle.
- Shape into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press down centers with thumb. Bake in a 350 degree oven about 12 minutes or till done. Remove and cool.
- For filling, in a small mixer bowl beat 1/4 cup butter til softened. Add powdered sugar and beat till fluffy. Add rum and beat well. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon filling into center of each cookie. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Chill till filling is firm.
- *You may substitute 1 tablespoon milk and 1/4 teaspoon rum extract for the rum.
Follow this link to Pin or Print: Eggnog Thumbprints
I got the recipe here: Grumpy’s Honey Bunch