More Quarantine Recipes! This one I found in one of my old cookbooks: “Aunt Bee’s Delightful Desserts” which I probably got at a Cracker Barrel or similar. Believe it or not, all of the Andy Griffith Show cookbooks are awesome and have great recipes that work and I love all of the trivia about the show that is included. Give them a try if you ever see one!
Checkerboard Chess Pie
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon dark vinegar (I used balsamic)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pie shell, unbaked
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, vinegar, and vanilla. Mix and pour into an unbaked pie shell and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Serves 6-8
More quarantine cooking! This time I made it for the folks in my neighborhood who came by a block party hosted at my house with Lobster Dog and Eleven Lakes Brewery. We all sat at a safe distance and shouted our greetings to one another! My deal was if they showed up, I gave them treats for their desserts. This is one I made.
Salted Butter Pecans Bites
1 cup chopped pecans
Nonstick cooking spray
12 graham crackers
1 cup packed brown sugar
3⁄4 cup (6 ounces) salted butter
2 tablespoons whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 15×10-inch rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray.
2. Bake the pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan, stirring halfway through, until toasted and fragrant, about 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Arrange the graham crackers in a single layer in the prepared baking sheet, slightly overlapping the edges.
4. In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, butter, and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla and pecans. Pour the butter mixture over the crackers, spreading to coat.
5. Bake until lightly browned and bubbly, about 10 to 11 minutes. Immediately sprinkle with salt, and slide the foil from the pan onto a wire rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Break into bite-sized pieces.