Summer is here, yes! I’m so thrilled that the weather is warming up so we can do some outdoor cooking on the grill and eat outside on the deck. The other night we had ribs and macaroni and cheese (and other stuff) and it was so fabulous. As much as I love grilling, my side dishes are favorites for me. This macaroni and cheese recipe comes from Taste of Home magazine and is creamy on the inside with a crispy topping for texture. I hope you love it as much as we did.
Mom’s Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces process cheese, cubed (Velveeta)
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses, stirring until cheese is melted. Drain macaroni.
- Transfer macaroni to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni; mix well. Melt the remaining butter; add the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown.
- Serves 6