Behind every good chef is a great sous chef, right? I always have company beside my “prep bar”. She sits patiently on my stool that I use when my feet begin to hurt. My only problem is finding the gumption to kick her off :(
In honor of my feline sous chef, I offer you a recipe shared with me (and the rest of the world) by another cat loving chef named KITTENCAL. We love this homey chicken casserole!
Kittencal’s Chicken Crescent Roll Casserole
- 2 (8 ounce) cans Pillsbury Refrigerated Crescent Dinner Rolls
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese (or any cheese of choice) or 3/4 cup swiss cheese (or any cheese of choice)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese (very soft)
- 4 tablespoons butter (very soft but not melted)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped (can use green onions)
- 2 large cooked chicken breasts, finely chopped (or use about 2 cups, can use cooked turkey)
- 1/2-3/4 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use 1/2 teaspoon white salt or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 -4 tablespoons mayonnaise or 2 -4 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 -2 cup grated cheddar cheese (for topping)
- Set oven to 350°F.
- 2 Butter a casserole dish (any size to hold crescent rolls).
- 3 In a saucepan, mix half and half cream, 3/4 cup grated cheese (can use more cheese if desired) and undiluted chicken soup (can season with black pepper if desired).
- 4 Heat just until the cheese melts (do not boil).
- 5 For the filling — (make certain that the cream cheese and butter are very soft) in a bowl, mix the soft cream cheese with butter until very smooth, then add in garlic powder (if using).
- 6 Add in the chopped chicken, onion and cheddar cheese; mix well until combined.
- 7 Add in 2 tablespoons whipping cream or mayonnaise; mix to combine (add in a little more if the mixture seems too dry).
- 8 Season with seasoned salt or white and black pepper to taste.
- 9 Unroll the crescent rolls.
- 10 Place 1 heaping tablespoon chicken mixture (or a little more) on top of each crescent triangle, then roll up starting at the thicker end.
- 11 Drizzle a small amount of soup mixture on the bottom of the dish.
- 12 Then place the crescent rolls seam-side down on top of the creamed mixture in the casserole.
- 13 Drizzle the remaining sauce on top (you don’t have to use the full amount of cream sauce, just use as much as desired) and sprinkle with 1 cup (or more) grated cheese, or amount desired.
- 14 Bake for about 30 minutes.