Even though I am stuck in this rehab center all day, I still hate to see the rain. It makes my whole room gloomy. Weekends are always so long here, no therapy and no activities to help pass the endless days. I never thought I’d have this problem, having too much time on my hands. sigh.
So, one of the books I’m reading is called In This Skin by Simon Clark. In it these 4 strangers are pulled to this abandoned hulking dance hall called the Luxor. Wouldn’t you know that it has a “doorway” to another world full of creatures that skin humans and wear their skin a la Jame Gum. I’m to the part where they get away from the “Skinners” and return to the little apartment within the hall to discuss a plan of attack. The pregnant chick serves everyone cake and water. So, I wondered what sort of cake do you serve when coming up with a battleplan against other worldly creatures who want to skin you alive? I know what I’d serve in her spot:
Sweet Monster Cupcakes
From: Family Fun Magazine
- 2 dozen cupcakes from your favorite recipe
- 3.4-ounce box of vanilla-flavored instant pudding
- green food coloring
- 1 cup of green melting candy (we used Wilton Candy Melts)
- 24 large marshmallows
- waxed-paper-lined baking sheet
- M&M’s Minis
- small serrated knife
- chocolate frosting
- black gel
- 2 green Tic Tac mints
- Bake and cool 2 dozen cupcakes from your favorite recipe. Prepare a 3.4-ounce box of vanilla-flavored instant pudding. Stir in drops of green food coloring until you have a shade you like, then place it in the refrigerator to chill.
- Next, microwave 1 cup of green melting candy (we used Wilton Candy Melts, available at party supply stores) for 1 minute at 50 percent power, then stir. If necessary, heat in 15-second intervals until completely melted. One at a time, spear 24 large marshmallows with a skewer and roll them in the melted candy, coating the sides. Set them on a waxed-paper-lined baking sheet, add M&M’s Minis for eyes, and place them in the refrigerator to chill.
- With a small serrated knife, remove a 1-inch-wide chunk from the center of each cupcake. Fill each hole with a tablespoon or so of the pudding, then spread chocolate frosting around each pudding hole.
- Cover each pool of pudding with a chilled marshmallow. Add black gel facial features and 2 green Tic Tac mints for bolts.
- Finally, top each monster head with a bit of frosting and muss with your finger or a fork. Keep the cupcakes chilled until serving time.